Just as we succeed in pulling the hammer through the portal towards us the hall rumbles with deafening thunder and a bright flash of lightning. As our hearing returns we can hear the hammer speaking in an ancient Dwarven dialect “Ich nach tinor grach thrun…”. It takes a little while to translate it, but roughly it would be ""I am free from the defiler, we must now go destroy the unholy. Wipe it from the face of the deeps. Wipe it from the face of the deeps….". The hammers indicates that we should follow where the energy being sapped from the hammer was going, and Thango sets some targeted charges in the wall to blow an opening to do just that.
On the other side of the wall is a narrow ascending natural cave. We begin climbing it, but it proves difficult and takes a toll on the endurance and health of most of the party. Adrik and I however manage to avoid the difficult sections just like that person at the office who always manages to avoid doing the tedious tasks that nobody else likes. As the cave ascent slows we begin to notice a slight sulfurous smell and the temperature begins to increase. Throughout the entire ascent the hammer has been encouraging us, letting us know this is the correct direction, but as we reach a larger cavern it goes silent. We send Mizr in to the cavern to see if there is anything to be wary of, and lo and behold…er there was.
Enough with the flavor commentary, it’s time for a play by play:
• It opens an eye to look at Thango first before we get a chance to move against it
• It then hits Ghesh with a similar necrotic attack, but his skull defends him against the necrotic damage it tries to inflict
• So it attacks Ghesh again and slows him and removes his necrotic resistance
• And then it launches it’s necrotic attack in my direction
• Then it moves up and attacks Ghesh more directly
• Finally it attacks Adrik, trying to take down all of our fighters
• I wind up and throw my hammer at the beholder, hitting it dead on
• Then Mizr launches in to an attack, but appears shaken bye the fact that she didn’t notice the beholder sooner and just misses with her attacks
• Thango tries to blind it, which would be an appropriate attack against a beholder, but only manages to creates a zone of darkness around it
• Adrik manages to hit him, but fails his saving throw against the ongoing necrotic damage and as a result he loses a healing surge. Pretty vicious.
• It shoots out a ray at Mizr that overcomes her with fear and she starts to run away from the beholder
• I get another hit in, but we continue to struggle getting solid hits in against him in general
• It takes a swing at Mizr, but she manages to dodge it and when it exposes itself I land a vicious blow against it. The crack of thunder that comes from the blow echoes through the cavern rattling it like a nearly empty can of spray paint
• He turned his eye on to me and the visions that I saw coming from him struck me with such fear that I immediately as far as I could until I realized that it was all in my head
• We have started to gain the upper ground, but just as I return to help out he again turns his eye on me and shows me a terrifying vision that makes me retreat
• Mizr plunges her knife in to its chest and finishes it off as a result
After the battle, as a lingering result from a beholder attack I felt myself fighting off the urge to live up to my surname, but my indomitable will prevented petrification. Now we proceed onward to inflict righteous judgement on the dracolich.